The Society’s Japanese Language School exists to encourage the study of Japanese language in our community by providing access to high-quality and affordable Japanese language classes. JLS offers classes from beginner to advanced skill levels. JLS also holds preparatory classes for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT).
Fluent Japanese Teachers
Study at any level
Connect with teachers
REGISTRATION FOR THE WINTER TERM IS NOW OPEN
Winter Term: January 8 – April 7, 2024 (13 weeks)
Early Bird Registration Deadline: Thursday, November 30, 2023
Regular Registration Deadline: Sunday, December 31, 2023
Winter 2024: January 8 – April 7
Spring 2024: May 6 – August 4
Fall 2024: September 2 – December 1
Classes run for 90 min. Monday – Friday 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm and 7:10 pm to 8:40 pm (EST).
Weekends: Time varies
We are dedicated to providing in-depth, accessible language classes tailored to suit your Japanese level. As such, all JLS classes are offered online through Zoom.
How to enroll in the Japanese Language School
Register/pay for the class of your choice
- You will receive an automatic email receipt after payment is completed.
- A reminder email from JASWDC will be sent to all students within one week after the registration deadline.
- After the registration deadline, classes may be switched or canceled if the class has a shortage of students.
- Before the term begins, your instructor will reach out to you through your registered email address and provide you with a Zoom link and other necessary details.
- If you have not received any confirmation email from the Japan-America Society or the instructor 2-3 days prior to the class start date, please email [email protected].
- Please be sure to check all your mailboxes, as emails from the Japan-America Society or the instructor may occasionally end up in your spam folder.
- Please double-check that the email address you are registering with is correct.
- Students may switch classes with their instructor’s approval as long as the request is submitted before the 2nd lesson of each term. (depending on the situation.)
- If you wish to change classes for personal reasons (e.g., a change in work schedule), you may do so up to one time. In this case, please contact us by email before the second class starts.
- To request a change, please contact the JLS Coordinator by email at [email protected].
- Students who wish to have a certificate of completion can request one by emailing [email protected] at the end of each term.
- Completing our classes is not equivalent to passing the Japan Language Proficiency Test or any other test of Japanese skill.