Holiday Class Closings: Classes will not be held on federal holidays. Make-up classes for these days will be held during the make-up week (the week after the semester ends) or another date that is optimal for the teacher and the students.
Inclement Weather: JASWDC follows the Office of Personnel Management‘s decision regarding whether or not to close the office during inclement weather. If the federal government is closed, JASWDC will most likely be closed as well, and no classes or events will be held that day. For the most timely information regarding office closures, please follow us on Facebook. If inclement weather occurs during the day, please call our office at (202) 833-2210.
Placement Tests (Language School Only): JASWDC offers placement tests for 100, 200, and 300 level courses. Email or call the office to schedule a placement test. Based on your grade, JASWDC staff will give you a suggested course number. The course that you take is up to your discretion.
Registration: Registration typically opens three weeks before the semester starts. The deadline is usually a week before the beginning of the semester. Payment for tuition & books MUST be received by the close of business (5:30pm) on this date. A $25 non-refundable late fee will be charged after the deadline. If textbooks are not ordered by this date, there is no guarantee there will be a textbook on the first day of class. Register online at www.jaswdc.org, or mail in with payment to Japan-America Society at: 1819 L St. NW, B2, Washington, DC 20036.
Class Confirmation: You will receive an e-mail few days after the deadline confirming your class placement.
Tuition (Language School Only):
$200 for JASW members; $275 for non-JASW members.
Special 5-week courses are $110 for JASWDC members and $150 for non-members.
Tuition for culture classes varies. Fees for members and non-members will be announced with class information.
Membership: $25 Students (full-time undergraduate or high school with valid school ID) $40 Senior citizens, $60 Individual, $80 Family, $150 Sustaining (*Membership is not required to register) Memberships are valid for one year from date of payment.
Textbooks: If you purchased textbooks through JASW, you may pick them up on the first day of class. If you wish to pick up beforehand, stop by JASW between 9:30am – 5:00pm (M-F). Textbooks/workbooks cannot be returned once purchased. There is no guarantee we will have textbooks on the first day if not purchased at the time of registration.
Class Size: Minimum of 4 students & maximum of 12 students. This may be different for culture classes, and will be noted on the announcement.
Cancellations/Refunds: Cancellation/refund requests must be received by E-MAIL by deadline for full refund, or between the deadline and the beginning of the semester for 50% refund. No refund after the semester starts. There is NO CREDIT for classes you miss.
Waiting List Policy: Students will be placed on a waiting list if the class is full at the time of registration. Students will be notified if they are on a waiting list and when (and if) space becomes available.
- There is no prorated tuition. Should you be absent, there will be no make-up classes or refunds, and you are responsible for any class you missed. We do not offer private tutoring for classes missed.
- If a class has fewer than 4 registrations, it will be cancelled. (This number may be less or more with culture classes.) If this happens, you may transfer to another class as long as space is available, or you may request a refund.
- The teacher may change class schedules due to personal reasons, holidays, etc. She/he will schedule a make-up class by discussing the optimal date with the class.
- You may change your class after the semester starts, as long as there is space available in the chosen class. Any changes must be approved by JASWDC.
- A certificate of completion will be issued upon request only when a student’s attendance is 60% or higher.
- This is an adult language school and is open to persons 14 years and older. If a student is 14 or 15 years old, an adult must accompany them to and from class.